Týnec nad Sázavou has a very long history. Its name itself indicates that at the place where the Týnec Castle is located these days – on a high cliff above the river – there was a fortified settlement in the ancient times, the so-called Týnec (“enclosure” or “fortification” was “Týn” or “Týnec” in old Czech). There is a probable connection between the settlement and an old trade route leading from southern Bohemia through the town of Sázava and along the Kostelec Castle to Prague.
The church of St. Catherine was originally built in the Gothic style in the first half of the 14th century. It underwent some alterations in 1684 and consequently reconstructed between 1888 – 1889 when the height of the nave was increased and a tower added.