The baroque church completed in 1715 has a ground plan in the shape of a Greek cross. It was designed by the famous Italian architect Giovanni Batista Alliprandi. The church is connected to the Piarist Campus, which has a central inner yard with a sundial and water well. The original campus consisted of classrooms, a large library, a dining room and rooms to accommodate the students. The Piarists, famous for spreading science and culture, brought the secondary education to Benešov from Italy.
The original early-gothic temple from the 13th century is located in the place where once used to be the oldest settlement of Benešov. At the same time it is the oldest preserved building in Benešov. After the fires in 1420 and 1648 it was refurbished in the style of late gothic and later into baroque style. The statues of Matyas Bernard Braun and even the wall paintings by Ignác Viktorin Raab have been preserved there. The separate Upper Belfry Tower is situated in front of the church entrance. It includes several bells from the 15th and 16th century. The tower got its current appearance, including the clock, after the repairs in 1828.
The Roman church *** from the time before 1150 rebuilt first in 1180 and than Late Romanesque around 1230. In 1352 it is proved to be a parish church, the parsonage being commemorated during the entire 15th century. In the following period only small adjustments were made, in the 16th century the original manor tribune was rebuilt into a gallery, in 1708 a snail staircase leading to the tower was built, a hall and vestry were annexed and the tower was roofed anew. The vestry originally adjoined the entrance portal in the northern wall which was walled up after the vestry has been demolished during the church’s restoration in 1950-1953.
The synagogue in Šternberská St is first mentioned as a new building in 1854 –1855. It is an untraditional, late-Classicist or Imperial building having a similar features as the synagogues in Benešov (1845), Nové Strašecí (1856) or Vodňany (1852). There were semi-circular windows in the ground-floor and circular ones above them, 3 in the west front, 4 in the side walls and 3 in the apses (walled-up today), thus it was a very backlit building.
The original church as well as all historical buildings and sights preserved from older days were destroyed in 1742 when almost all the small town, including the church, burnt down. Official record books and the church registry books were also destroyed.