In 1720, Frantisek Adam Trauttmansdorff entrusted the renowned Czech architect F. M. Kanka with the construction of a château corresponding to his social status, that of a prominent member of the aristocracy. The château is a typical seat of a nobleman from the height of the Baroque period, decorated by prominent artists such as M. B. Braun, V. V. Reiner and F. A. Scheffler.
This originally stone stronghold of the noblemen of Janovice, protected by a moat, was gradually converted into a manor house in the Renaissance style, becoming the seat of the Votice branch of the counts of Vrtba in the 17th and 18th centuries. The last major reconstruction occurred in the mid 19th century, when the château received its current, neo-gothic look.
The castle of Konopiště was founded at the end of the 13th century, probably by the bishop Tobias of Benešov. It was built as a Gothic fortress copying the design of French castels.First building alterations were ordered by George of Šternberk at the end of the 15th century, and later by Hodějovští of Hodějov in the 17th century. In the 18th century, Vrtbové of Vrtba converted the castle into a Baroque palace. Francis Ferdinand d’Este, who bought it in 1887, had it rebuilt into a grand emperor’s residence.
The monastery was founded by Prince Ulrich and the hermit Procopius in 1023. It houses an exhibition called “Old-Slavic Sázava”. The tour includes the Baroque Refectory and the Chapter-house with murals dating back to the 14th century. You can visit the Baroque church dedicated to St. Procopius and see the underground crypt. There are uncovered foundations of the
HolyCrossChurch from the 11th century in the northern monastery garden.